1960 Porsche 356 B T5 Coupe
- Chassis- 113844
- Engine- 604231 (matching)
- Transmission-40410 (matching)
In 1960 when you uttered the word “Porsche” only one word came out “356”. 356 was Porsche and Porsche was 356. In 2014 Porsche could be 911, Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera, Macan, 918… The 356 is what defined Porsche and what built this incredible brand. Sadly I am too young to have been around in 1960, yet I yearn for this connection to the past. A connection to everything that made Porsche great! If I could possibly find a way this car would be in my personal garage, it’s that good! This is your chance, here is this cars story:
This particular car was assembled on November 3rd 1960 and was finished in truly dramatic Fjord Green over light grey leatherette. Little is known about its early life other than it’s been a Washington car since new. It had the same owner in Chelan, Washington from 1966 to 2013. In 2013 the 37 year owner sold the car to a local club member and 356 aficionado as he was not using the car. It was a VERY nice car and it just needed a few service items to make it 100%. Here is what has been recently done:
- Top end rebuild 3k miles ago including: New valve guides, new valves, honed and fly cut. All engine sheet metal cleaned and painted, new engine decals from Stoddard’s. (see photos)
- All new engine oil lines, all new fuel hoses, rebuilt fuel pump, rebuild both carburettors, installed aux electric fuel pump to make starting easier, new Optima battery
- New front seat covers from Autos International and Coco Mats
Body and Paint-
The car was repainted to a very high standard approximately 15 years and 7,000 miles ago in its correct shade of Fjord Green (705). It shows almost no defects. The body is perfectly straight, with excellent gaps and no evidence of damage or rust repair. Both the front hood and rear deck lid are stamped with matching Chassis numbers, verifying their original status. The exterior deco trim, lights, etc are all in excellent shape and original throughout. You will find no reproduction lenses or trim on this car.
The interior on this car is truly stunning. All the surfaces are clean and correct with very minimal evidence of use. Of interesting note is that the second owner had a full complement of gauges installed in 1966 and they work perfectly! This includes oil pressure and an amp meter. The radio while not original is period and works wonderfully. It has a pair of era correct Coco mats with pristine OE rubber floors. Everything on the car works as it should, even the clock keeps perfect time, incredible!
As stated above a light mechanical refresh was just done and the car runs and drives spectacular. If you are looking for a 356 to drive, this is your car. It starts on the first turn of the key, idles well and makes great power. Please note that while the car has a 1600 Super badge on the rear, it is a 1600 Normal car. During the rebuild 3,000 miles ago the car received a 1720cc big bore kit. The transmission shifts smoothly and the syncros allow easy up and downshifting. The brakes are firm and actuate through the full range of the pedal and the car tracks straight and true. I really can’t tell you just how nice this car drives! Looking for a driver…
The bain of all 356’s is rust. This car is absolutely rock solid everywhere I have inspected. The pans, battery box, jack points all appear to be original and are solid. So many of these cars are freshly undercoated to hide a myriad of sins, this car is just clean underneath but things haven’t been covered up. I can find no evidence of body or panel work for rust repair either; just a nice car that obviously was not subjected to less than ideal conditions.
Overall this is a pretty correct example, but the previous owner did have a hankering for a Carrera, so there are a few updates:
- Engine- 1720cc big bore kit, Period Lestritz 2-out sport exhaust
- Suspension- Koni Shocks
- Brakes- Vented front brakes
- Wheels- 5.5 inch Brazilian chrome wheels (OE Lemmerz spare)
- Exterior- Carrera rear valence, Louvered Carrera style rear deck lid (Chassis # matched to car), OE Euro front orange blinkers, headlight guards, OE Hella fog lights, 1600 Super badge
- Interior- Color change from light grey to tan, Upgraded gauges, non OE shift knob, seatbelts, dash plaques (removable)
- Certificate of Authenticity- Documents the cars matching numbers
- Original drivers manual, Maintenance instructions and Blaupunkt manual all in the correct Red vinyl case.
I would love to discuss or show this car to any true 356 enthusiast. I feel blessed to have it here and frankly would love it to occupy a spot in my garage. So save my marriage and put it in your garage!