1997 Porsche 993-Arctic Silver over Black, 6-speed, LSD, Motorsound, 18″ Hollow spokes, full history from new, Gamroth built motor, 100k miles, wow!
The “Rennlist Top 10″….
For those of us who have been passionate about the 993 since back in its infancy, we are likely familiar with Rennlist. The faithful would gather there and discuss ways in which to personalize or slightly tweak Porsche’s final air-cooled into a customized expression of oneself. The banter would go deep into intricacies of the kinematic rear suspension, which Porsche Motorsports or RS bits are worthy on installing on a street car, wheel fitment, brake upgrades and how to make the refined 993 feel just a little more raw…. I loved those days and can admit that my personal 993’s in this era contained most of these Top 10 mods…. So this is why I LOVE this 993, it represents the 993 at its zenith of enthusiast ownership before most of the conversation pivoted to resale value, swirl marks and other silly banter unrelated to wrenching, modifying or driving….
So the year was 2002 and a local Seattle enthusiast purchased this one owner 993 from a dealer in Florida after it had passed a PPI at Braman Porsche. He immediately had the car shipped home and set off on loving and improving the car over the next 20 years. This maintenance list is exhaustive, so I will just highlight the major upgrades, happy to review the whole file with you, but suffice it to say it has been very well cared for!
- 67k miles- New Bilstein PSS9 Coil-overs, front M030 sway bar, rear RS sway bar, corner balance
- 72k miles- RS short shifter and RS knob
- 73k miles- install genuine OEM 18″ Hollow Spoke Technology Wheels
- 74k miles- Top end rebuilt by Jeff Gamroth (Rothsport Racing Portland, OR)- RS flywheel and clutch, RS cams and intake valves, titanium retainers, new valve guides, chain rails, 911 race valve springs, case thru o-rings, RS single pulley conversion, SAI passages cleaned, upgraded ECU software and lots more!
- 80k miles- Transmission rebuilt by Gordon Ledbetter, rebuild LSD
- 85k miles- Complete strip down and repaint by Eurotech in Kirkland, WA. All rubber gaskets, lenses, windshield, replaced. Turbo front bumper and Turbo S brake cooling ducts installed.
- 98k miles- Full major service all fluids, belts, filters, spark plugs, caps and rotors, brake fluid flush, new sway bar bushings, new left transaxle seal, new oil level sender and gasket, new front and rear control arm bushings, new upper strut mounts, Elephant Racing bump steer kit, RS inner tie rods, new adjustable RS front sway bar, new alternator and more ($14k!)
- 99k miles- Install Porsche Classic Radio (latest version), which has Apple Car Play, Bluetooth and the like yet looks and feels correct. Crazy expensive ($1500) but worth it!
So, you have an enthusiast who drove, enjoyed and used his 993 but cared for it with an open checkbook approach and it shows, both in how it drives and how it looks! The exterior of the car is quite spectacular, while many of us (myself included) prize original paint we also prize beauty, the challenge of course is a car with 100k miles and original paint will rarely aesthetically pass muster with us persnickety types. This car will, its stunning! There is some scratches at the very bottom of the front bumper cover, but other than that its really remarkable. The interior is likewise spotless with the only notable item being the lower cushion on the drivers seat shows some deformation and a small ~5mm hole in the left lower bolster.
The car comes with a complete history back to new, literally a couple inches thick as well as detailed notes on everything, this IS the type of owner you want to buy from! It also comes with all the original books, both keys, tool kit, air pump, jack, plastic gloves and more.
Please note that Carfax shows a front “accident” in 2019. The owner was dining in downtown Seattle and saw a person parallel parking in front of his car and could see they tapped the bumper and then drove off. Since a police report was filed it appears on Carfax. I have the invoice for the refinishing of the front bumper cover (also at Eurotech, that shop that painted the car) for $1,197.
I will be THRILLED to find the next owner of this 993, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE promise me you will DRIVE the car and resist the urge to make any post on social media that doesn’t involve driving, improving or working on said car…. I just need to know there are some of us true die-hards left out there…..