2002 Porsche 996 Turbo-Black on Black, 6-speed, X50 Power Kit, XAF Aerokit, Sport Seats, 100% original, just 14k miles, best of the best!
This particular 996TT perfectly is a perfect representative example of my obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), I took a perfectly great Turbo and just got silly with it. I know most sellers will simply polish it up, maybe change the oil and then make some Instagram worthy pics and proclaim it “Perfect”…. Sadly with my affliction I just can’t do that! So here is the story….
A past client of mine called to tell me that a friend of his who lived in Cody, WY had a “perfect” 996 Turbo, would I be interested in it? I said “Maybe”… deep down I figured a “perfect” car from rural Wyoming is likely NOT my quality but I said send me some pics. As soon as I saw those photos my attention was immediately piqued, I saw the rear aero kit spoiler and odometer reading of just over 14k miles and I started getting excited…. Next thing you know I was hopping on a plane to Bozeman, MT and then driving the 2 hours to Cody (inspect what you expect I say!). Luckily on arrival the owner was a passionate car guy and even had a lift in his garage for me to inspect the car. It passed initial muster with all original paint, clean DME and no notable issues. I did some sightseeing in Wyoming (beautiful!) and on the plane ride I started sketching out my plans for this car.
For some reason I wanted to make this car a reference standard example, I think it was the realization that it has all the right DNA to be world class and it had ALL the right options and NONE of the silly ones, sadly so many 996 Turbo’s have hideous combinations of options or have almost none at all. Here is how this car was ordered new:
- Black Exterior/Black Full leather interior
- Heated Front Seats-$415
- Design Package- Aluminum Door Sills X70, Aluminum Dials X71, Aluminum Brake and Shift Knob Y06- $1,980
- Sport Seats (SO hard to find on Turbo’s for some reason!)
- Wheel Caps w/ Colored Crests- $175
- Remote CD Changer- $715
- CD Player-$350
- Black Mats- $115
- Exclusive Engine Performance Package X50-$17,700
- Exclusive Stainless Exhaust Pipes X54- $890
- Exclusive Turbo Aerokit XAF- $7,490
- Exclusive Steering wheel and airbag in full leather- $565
In total $32,460 in options for a total original MSRP of $147,460
This is a VERY rare configuration, Porsche sent ~6,800 996 Turbo Coupes to North America from 2001-2005. If one is looking for the holy grail build of: Black on Black, X50 Power Package, XAF Aerokit and Sport Seats? The built 15 of those over those 4 years….. Now how many have sub 15k miles, all original paint and no excuses? Suffice it to say, not many!
So I was VERY excited about this build, so I decided to dive into the deep end of the pool and cut NO corners:
- Full major service including: oil and filter, air filter, cabin air filters, fuel filters, transmission fluid flush, brake fluid flush, new wiper blades, new spark plugs, new drive belts, new hatch struts, new battery
- Complete removal of front and rear bumper covers, lighting, all under trays and fender liners. Dry Ice and clean every nook and cranny then reassemble. Truly silly but it looks so good…
- Now this was my nemesis…. The car is equipped with the rare XAF Aerokit and a previous owner must have damaged the front spoiler as it had the regular Turbo front spoiler. I simply couldn’t tolerate that, so I ordered one from Porsche Germany which took 4 months to arrive! Ugh! I had it painted to match and it looks SO good!
- Install 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires
- Install STEK black paint protection film on the front and rear bumper covers. Install new lower rocker covers (these always show wear and bother me..)
- Full paint correction and detail by the pro’s at Metropolitan Detail. Black done right is epic!
So here is the GOOD news: now when I stand back and look at this car, even I am impressed! It is SO good…. Deep down I think that is the reward for me, a sense of knowing you made something really good truly exceptional. Will I get back the $15k + I just spent and my hundreds of hours? Probably not, but what a deal for my buyer. So would you rather have one like this or the typical $300 detail and pretty photos??
A couple other notable items:
- Clean title, Clean Carfax, Clean DME report and most importantly all original paint!
- The car comes complete with all books, 2 keys, air pump, tool kit, gloves, jack/bag, copy of the window sticker, build sheet verifying matching numbers engine and transmission and more.
There really isn’t much more to say…. Compromise if you would like, but if that word isn’t in your vocabulary this just might be the “one”….