2012 Porsche Cayman R-Basalt Black Metallic on Carrera Red Full leather, 6-speed, Carbon Buckets, most loaded “R” I have ever seen, $33k in options alone! Just 17k miles and FLAWLESS!
All Porsche’s are great BUT some will go down in history as the true “GREATS”… the 2012 Cayman R is one such car….
The challenging thing about defining what would land a particular car on the vaunted GREATS list is that it can’t be distilled by simply looking at a spec sheet or performance measures. If it were that easy manufacturers could consistently crank out new GREATS with each succeeding generation, but we know that simply isn’t the case. As car fanatics we instinctively “feel” when a car is simply more than the sum of its parts. These cars inextricably create an emotional link between driver and machine that can’t be measured objectively, but can be understood spiritually. Have you owned a litany of cars with impressive spec sheets that excited you initially but your passion waned as you felt something was missing? The Cayman R is that perfect elixir….
Porsche sold the 987.2 Cayman R for just one model year, 2012, and it shared the vast majority of its DNA with another true GREAT, the 987.2 Boxster Spyder. One could find spiritual driving Nirvana in either model, the biggest deciding factor comes down to elemental soft top or rigid fixed roof. The Spyder is rare with just 891 sold here in North America, but the R is extraordinarily rare with just 624 here. Now the desired specification has the 6-speed manual gearbox (343 total) and the Carbon bucket seats (40% of production), so maybe ~170 or so of those extant. Now this particular car ups the ante even more as it carried a $99,625 original list price! In fact there are just 2 6-speed manual R’s with higher MSRP’s ever built ($99,995 + $100,245 to be precise…). If you want to be a geek like me, you can see the specs of every one ever built here: https://vinanalytics.com/collections/caymanr/
Ok, enough geeking out on options, how the heck do you get to almost $100K for a Cayman R? Here is how you order it:
(WARNING: If you are a PETA member LOOK away, several Bovine’s lost their life in the building of this car….)
- Basalt Black Metallic- $710
- Carrera Red Leather/Alacantara- $5,165
- Universal Audio Interface-$345
- BOSE- $1,690
- Fuel Cap w/ Aluminum Finish-$160
- Mirror Attachments painted- $500
- Park Assist- $530
- Sports Exhaust- $2,810
- Sport Bucket Seat Belt Pass thru painted- $655
- Interior Design Package Painted- $1,760
- Storage Bin w/Crest- $330
- Floor Mats w/logo and crest leather- $455
- Gear Trim Lever in leather- $260
- Rear View Mirror in Leather- $675
- Defroster Trim in Leather- $535
- Fuse Box Cover in Leather- $165
- Seat Belt Buckles in Leather- $535
- Gear Trim Leather- $370
- Defroster vents in Leather- $365
- Sun Visors in Leather- $575
- Steering column in Leather- $465
- Door Sills in Leather- $775
- Alacantara headlining-$1,180
- Sports Look Footrest- $250
- PCM Package Painted- $2,225
- Leather Interior A-Pillar incl ignition lock, switch panel end trim, mirror finishers- $740
- Auto Dimming Mirrors-$690
- PCM w/ Navigation- $3,455
- Bi-Xenon Lights- $1,560
- Painted Headlamp Cover- $295
- Sport Chrono Package- $960
Total Original MSRP- $99,625 (over $33k in options alone!)
Suffice it to say this car is spectacular in all ways: driving, aesthetics, collectibility, performance, wow factor and quality. This is a 2 owner car that was sold new at Carlsen Porsche in Redwood City, CA. My client purchased the car directly from the original owner in 2017 when it had just over 12k miles, current mileage is 17,xxx. It has never been damaged, modified or tracked. It is 100% original including paint (paint meter verified) and is nearly without excuse of any kind. Immediately upon purchase my client had the pro’s at Metropolitan Detail (www.metropolitandetail.com) do a complete paint correction, install XPEL clear film (full front with no seams) and apply a ceramic coating. The body paint and interior and stunning.
Mechanically, there isn’t much to report other than to say it is 100% ready to go. I will be performing the 4-year major service (the biggest one Porsche does) over the next few days which includes: full inspection, oil and filter, brake fluid flush, new spark plugs, cabin air filter, air filter, new drive belt.
The car comes complete with an amazing array of cool accessories such as:
- Original Window Sticker
- All original books and manuals
- 2 original keys
- fitted car cover
- 1:16 Scale RC car Cayman R model!
- Original Cayman R sales brochures and literature
- Complete Service history
This WILL be one of the cars you will be telling your friends in the future you SHOULD have bought, don’t be the person telling that story in the future… instead be the person who is drinking the elixir of driving nirvana!